When your little one turns 10 months old, he has probably found his favourite foods. However, it is important that you continue to introduce new textures and flavours into the diet to ensure that healthy eating habits are maintained.
Healthy Family Meals
By 12 months of age, your baby can start eating nutritious home-cooked family meals. It is essential that your child is provided with a wide range of nutritionally rich foods, especially those from the 5 basic food groups to maintain balanced and sufficient nutrition. The basic food groups are:
- Grains: bread, cereals, rice, pasta, etc.
- Fruits, vegetables and legumes/beans
- Dairy: milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives
- Protein: lean meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, tofu and beans/legumes
- Essential oils and fats: nuts, fish, eggs, chicken, beef, olive and canola oil, and avocados
Note: Choking is a risk with hard foods. Whole nuts, raw carrots or apple pieces should not be given to kids under the age of 3 years.